There is nothing less appealing than jumping into a shower with stains and smudges all over the glass doors. And there is nothing more frustrating than cleaning the glass shower only to find it not looking much better than before. That’s because not all cleaners are great for glass showers.
It’s also not as simple as wiping away a smudge. Grime build-up and bacteria stick to the glass, and it is harder to clean. You also want to be considerate of the chemicals you use since you wash your body there. The last thing we want to do is have our kids showering with toxic chemicals.
So, what’s best for cleaning glass shower doors? We have a few options.
Top Seven Cleaners
We’ve come up with a list of the 7 best cleaners for glass shower doors. Each one serves a slightly different purpose, whether natural cleaning or best for scum.
1) Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for Soap Scum has been one of the go-to professional shower glass cleaners. It’s important to note that it’s not the best option for someone looking for a natural approach. It’s meant to get the toughest soap scum up, so it can be particularly abrasive.
Here’s what you need to know.
- This approach is different from most bath sprays as the Mr. Magic Eraser is actually a soap scrubber with a built-in cleaning solution to the sponge, so you don’t have to spray anything additional.
- It’s been updated to get rid of the melamine foam and instead now uses a Durafoam, which is less aggressive but still gets the job done. This makes it a safer solution than previous versions.
It’s easy to use as all you have to do is add water to the designated purple spots. This will activate the solution, and you can start scrubbing away.
2) Clean X Repel
Clean X Repel also has been known for getting up soap scum with no issue. It’s a fan favorite for some people, thanks to its cherry scent, while others don’t love this as much. Sadly it doesn’t come in other scents, so if this is a big deal, this one may not be for you.
Let’s take a look at the overview.
- It’s loved by many because it’s multi-use and can be used on more than just one surface. For instance, you can clean your entire bathroom with it rather than just your glass shower doors.
- It works to get rid of the scum by dissolving it rather than getting it to unstick to its surface. You will need a towel or sponge to wipe it away.
- Most people’s only complaint is that sometimes it can leave a streaky finish on surfaces.
- It has a coating that is naked to the eye to continue to prevent future scum from building up, which makes cleaning the doors less frequent.
3) Vinegar and Dish Soap
Some people swear by brand cleaners because they simply don’t know what is in them. Sometimes a bottle will leave the ingredients out or we don’t even know what the ingredients are that are listed. That’s why the most natural solution is mixing vinegar with soft dish soap. Often Meyers hand and dish soap work well because they don’t have any gross chemicals that are harmful. This is the best shower glass cleaner homemade.
Here is how to make your natural solution.
- Mix one-part white vinegar with 3 parts warm water and one-part dish soap.
- Mix together well so the solution foams a little.
- Put into a spray bottle and spray directly onto the glass shower door
- Take a soft microfiber cloth or sponge and scrub away.
This is another great multi-use that can be used anywhere in your bathroom. Or, to be honest, you can use it in your kitchen and all over your house for different surfaces. It’s the most natural, chemical-free spray you can use!
4) Grove Co Shower Cleaner
Another great natural option that doesn’t require you to make it yourself is the Grove Co Shower Cleaner. It’s also great for a daily cleaner or doing it every other day as it’s not a hard cleaner. Some people prefer this as a casual clean instead of an overhaul. Consider it to be something that prevents the gross grime from building up rather than tackling it when it is too late.
Let’s dive deeper into this product.
- This is a unique solution where no after-rinse is required. Simply spray and wipe, and it won’t leave streaks and marks that you need to rinse down with water.
- Because it’s made mostly with plant-based ingredients (89% to be exact), you don’t have to worry about toxic chemicals making their way into your bathroom.
- Their plant extracts and essential oils make for pleasant scents.
It’s EPA Safer Choice certified.
5) Rain X Shower Door Cleaner
After the hard work is over cleaning your shower glass door, the last thing you want to do is feel like you have to do the same process over and over again. That’s why the Rain X Shower Door Cleaner is awesome as a preventive and protective cleaner, thanks to the coating it puts in place after use. Keep in mind that this is not a daily cleaner but the cherry on top after you clean.
Let’s learn some more about this product.
- It’s worth repeating, but this is not a cleaner by any means, so if you spray it and try to wipe things up, you don’t get very good results.
- This sealant and coating protect your glass shower from getting dirty right after you clean it. So always clean first and then use.
- It’s water resistant, so you won’t find the water washing it away, which means you don’t have to spray it every day.
- This is a glass-only spray, so do not try this on other surface materials. You may end up ruining other parts of your bathroom or house if you do this.
6) Clean Shower Daily Shower Cleaner
An easy-to-grab cleaning solution that gets the job done is the Clean Shower Daily Shower Cleaner. You can go ahead and order this on Amazon. It’s relatively safe compared to most cleaners and is a multi-use option that can be used on many different surfaces. This is great to combine with some other solution to get the job done efficiently.
Here are a few more details you should know about this product.
- This is great for daily cleaning or even every other day. It is not a hard cleaner for already built-up mold, mildew, and grime. It’s soft, which makes it safe to use.
- Once the shower glass door is clean, it is a great fantastic preventative for any grime to build up afterward.
- Heads up! The price can vary depending on the amazon seller you are trying to buy it from.
7) Shower Glass Cleaner Tool: HIWARE Squeegee
If you want a professional look, you can use a shower squeegee that works the same as when professionals clean glass windows. It leaves a seamless professional look. This also helps with the question, “what is the best cleaner for hard water stains on glass shower doors?” Not every squeegee is a good choice because you could end up scratching your glass.
The All Purpose HIWARE Squeegee cleaner is great because you can use it for your shower and you can also use it for your car windows and home windows. Just be sure to clean well after every use because it’s the easiest way to bring grime and dirt into your bathroom when you reuse it repeatedly.
What Are Hard Water Stains?
Hard water stains are different from the scum from soap or grime build-up from the dirt in your shower so they have to be treated a little differently. Hard water stains come from the harsh water coming out of your shower, spending on your water line. If your town has a lot of limescale or deposits in the water then you will see that stains your glass and any stainless steel. This is primarily from magnesium and calcium buildup.
What is the best cleaner for hard water stains on glass shower doors?
White vinegar and baking soda is the best way to treat a hard water stain. You can also go ahead and check out our white vinegar, warm water, and dish soap method listed above. But here is another home remedy that you can try that works wonders.
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and baking soda to create a paste. The important thing is to remember that it should be dissolved so that it doesn’t feel like a material that can scratch the surface.
- We highly recommend using a damp microfiber cloth to wipe the scrub mixture away. These water stains are tricky, which is why you need something slightly abrasive.
- After cleaning them, you can use your squeegee to wipe away any of the remaining streaks or marks.
Getting the Job Done
When it comes to cleaning your bathroom glass shower door, it may take a little bit of trial and error. Some people don’t mind using some of the more commercial cleaners that are a little more abrasive. However, many people are finding out that natural cleaners are getting the job done. It’s just up to you whether you want to create your own mixture or buy an eco-friendly and organic option already made by a company.
The great news is many of the more natural cleaners can be used on different surfaces and clean the entire bathroom rather than just the shower. They are typically best used as daily cleaners or preventive solutions rather than something that is meant to get up harder messes.
So try a few of these cleaners out, as they are the best glass door cleaners you can find. And you can finish the job with a squeegee cleaner that is careful not to scratch your surface or any other part of your bathroom.