Nothing is better than a fresh load of laundry with a fresh and clean fragrance. But there is probably nothing worse than putting on clothes that irritate your skin and make them itchy. Eco-friendly laundry detergents are so much more than being produced and sold in an earth-friendly way. They should also have higher standards of ingredients that are just as safe for us as they are for the environment.
That’s why we have made the best eco-laundry detergent reviews you can find. It may take a few tries to find the perfect solution for you, but everything on this list is clean and green.
What Should I Look For In Eco-Friendly Laundry Detergent?
Before starting our list of detergent recommendations, let’s talk about what you should look for in a good choice. Or, in some cases, what you should avoid!
- A laundry detergent free of artificial fragrance and dyes. These two things can cause skin rashes and allergic reactions.
- Your detergent should be SLS-free. SLS is commonly found in detergents because it helps lift oils and dirt from clothes. It also is a leading culprit in making skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and similar sensitive issues worse.
- Bleach may be good at getting your whites white again, but it is also an eye and lung irritant.
- Formaldehyde is very common in laundry detergents because it has both preservative and antibacterial properties. It’s also cost-effective. But it’s toxic to humans and has links to cancer.
There are many different culprits that can be added to this list which is why the fewer ingredients a laundry detergent has, the better. Let’s go over our list of the best eco-friendly laundry detergent options.
1. Best Plastic-Free Laundry Detergent
We are starting with a plastic-free option because plastic is one of the leading issues when it comes to polluting our earth. It’s hard to break down, and it’s in nearly everything we use. Even our laundry detergents.
While you may not notice these little plastic pieces in your laundry detergents, they cause major damage when washed down the drain. Even getting rid of plastic packaging and creating a zero-waste option is a fantastic win. So here is our top pick.
Dropps Zero-Waste Laundry Detergent Pods
Dropps laundry detergent pods are one of the best plastic-free options, but it also is a great plant-based laundry detergent. Here is what we love.
- It’s a plant-based solution that uses enzymes to life odors and stains from clothes
- They dissolve completely in both hot and cold temperatures
- They are cruelty-free and do not contain any phosphates, parabens, dyes, etc.
There is not much downside, but if there were two things to point out, it would be this.
- They are more expensive than some other options. You can find the price range charge listed in our table at the end of this post.
- You won’t find these conveniently in most stores. You need to order ahead of time to get them.
2. Best Non-Toxic Laundry Detergent
Non-toxic should be a minimum standard for laundry detergents, but as we have learned, there are many common toxic chemicals put into our washes. That’s why for this section, we have chosen a truly minimalist laundry wash that has only three ingredients.
Meliora Laundry Powder
Meliora laundry powder is a three-ingredient laundry detergent, so you don’t have to worry about any irritants at all. Here is what we like.
- The ingredients are natural, including baking soda, washing soda, and vegetable soup
- They are Made-Safe certified
- The packaging is completely plastic-free. The tins come with reusable scoopers.
But there are a few things to consider.
- Because of their minimalist ingredients, they are not the most powerful laundry detergent on the market. It doesn’t always give the freshest scent or cleanest feel compared to traditional options. But it’s still a great alternative and is truly non-toxic.
- You may need to wash clothes multiple times or add extra scoops for stubborn stains.
3. Eco-friendly Laundry Detergent Sheets
There is no question about who wins this race. Everyone can agree that Earth Breeze Eco Sheets are the best on the market. Laundry detergent sheets often have toxic and harmful chemicals. And they can end up getting stuck in unpleasant places in the wash because they don’t dissolve. This can lead to clogs in the vents and breaking your machine.
Earth Breeze Laundry Detergent Sheets
Here is why we love this option.
- It is incredibly safe as they list all their ingredients right on the packaging. No hidden secrets or harmful toxins.
- It is incredibly affordable as a single pack comes to $0.33, and if you buy in bulk, you can get it for $0.20.
- It is plastic-free packaging as they are lightweight cardboard boxes that are tiny and energy-efficient to ship around the world.
Are there any drawbacks?
The positives don’t end when it comes to Earth Breeze, so it’s hard to find anything negative.
- The only drawback is that you can’t just pick them up in the story. They are a new brand and have yet to get some of the recognition other brands have.
4. Best Organic Laundry Detergent
When you are looking for an organic laundry detergent or a chemical-free laundry detergent, there are many options on the market. This means that the ingredients will be natural, and they shouldn’t have any of the harmful ingredients we listed above.
Here is one of our favorite options.
Blueland Laundry Tablets
Blueland is certified by many different worldwide recognized organizations that it makes sense why so many people love them. Here is what we love.
- Pet and baby safe as well as earth safe as they are Climate Neutral Certified
- They do not contain an ounce of harmful chemicals like parabens, chlorine, dyes, etc.
- Their package is compostable, making it an earth-friendly option.
- The detergent works well with HE washers.
- It offers the loveable laundry scent that makes us feel that our clothes are fresh and clean
Are there any drawbacks? Hardly!
- The drawback remains relatively the same amongst some of the organic detergents. You can buy directly from them to ensure that you are taking advantage of all their eco-friendly options, but this may result in waiting a little bit for your product.
5. All-natural Laundry Detergent
Being an eco-friendly laundry detergent is so much more than the actual detergent itself. Consider the whole process that a company uses to make their product and get it to you. This is why we love this option.
Ecos Laundry Detergent
Ecos laundry is a fantastic option. They have so many positive qualities that start from the core of their product processing. Let’s check it out.
- They are a carbon-neutral company and also water neutral certified. They have a completely 100% renewable energy process for making their products.
- You get great value for how much product they actually give you. Each bottle is worth 100 loads of laundry.
- It’s animal cruelty-free and vegan!
They do have one downside, though.
- The bottles are made from plastic. However, they are recyclable. This is a trade-off for the net carbon result.
6. Best Hypoallergenic Laundry Detergent
There is nothing worse than feeling itchy all the time. There can be a thousand reasons for this, but when it is coming from your laundry, then finding a solution can be hard. But that’s why we love this choice. It was made by doctors to help those who have particularly sensitive skin.
Puracy Natural Laundry Detergent
This laundry detergent looks more like hand soap. But this is done on purpose to help you save.
- Made with a pump so you can measure out the laundry detergent correctly and not waste more than you need.
- Made alongside doctors to be one of the best hypoallergenic laundry detergents on the market. It’s made of completely plant-based ingredients.
- Parents of newborns love this product as they don’t want to expose their kids to any harsh chemicals
The drawback is just how eco-friendly it is.
- The bottles are not compostable, and it is not an incredibly environmentally friendly way to make the product. They are not easy to reuse either.
7. Best Natural Laundry Detergent That Does Have Scent
Sometimes people just want their clothes to smell fresh as well as clean. This may be one of the biggest factors when it comes to making the switch. But there are some natural laundry detergents that do have a pleasant scent without causing irritation. Here’s the one we love.
Biokleen Natural Laundry Detergent
This laundry detergent isn’t perfect, but it is a great solution for those who want something similar to both in stores but still natural.
- Biokleen laundry detergent has a wonderful citrus smell that doesn’t cause any skin irritations or rashes. This is because they don’t use synthetic fragrances.
- Every single ingredient in this laundry detergent option is biodegradable, so there is no concern about small plastics going down the drain. It is also completely plant-based.
- It’s perfect for vegans as it is cruelty-free. This means no animal testing or products whatsoever.
- This bottle gets you up to 300 washes with the normal measured out amount.
As we said, this option is not perfect. So here are the drawbacks.
- The jug that it comes in is not compostable, but it is recyclable. It’s made from plastic which is not ideal for everyone.
Tips For Washing Habits You Can Do To Be More Earth-Friendly
Being eco-friendly with your products isn’t the only approach you can take when doing your laundry. There are a number of tips and tricks that can seriously save the planet. Let’s go over them.
- The less you wash the clothes, the less you are using water. Now some pieces of clothing, of course, can only be used once. But there are also many clothing items that can be used a few times. For instance, you can reuse towels and sweatshirts multiple times before needing to throw them in the wash. Even sweatpants and some pants, in general, can be re-worn.
- Checking the setting on your washer can help reduce the amount of water and energy you are using. Using cooler water temperatures is better for the environment than a warm wash. It also avoids shrinking your clothes or mixing dyes!
- Avoiding your drier altogether is a great way to save energy. Hang dry your clothes as much as you can for the most energy-efficient method.
Even just adding these tips every once in a while can make a big difference over time!
Where To Buy
Target or Ecos.com
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to switching from general store-bought laundry detergents to something more natural, there is a lot of confusion. Whether the products will work or if they will work in your washing machines is a top concern. That’s why we have dedicated this section to answering your frequently asked questions about natural laundry products.
What is the healthiest laundry detergent?
It’s tough to choose a laundry detergent that is the most healthy because they have tons of options on the market with new choices every day. Instead of looking at the most healthy laundry detergent, the best thing is to look for a laundry detergent that has a zero-tolerance policy for the ingredients we mentioned above.
Technically speaking, the least amount of ingredients is a good way to go. This would leave us with the Morelia detergent. But some people say this doesn’t always get the job done and is more of an extreme approach. That’s why a lot of people are using Blueland or Earth Breeze. These two options typically rate as the two best laundry detergents and are the most healthy.
Are natural detergents better for clothes?
This is a tricky question. Natural detergents are better for the humans wearing the clothes. But when it comes to what gets the job done in the past, we would lean towards store-bought laundry detergents. But now, with new brands offering powerful options that are just as effective and safe, we may lean towards saying it’s better for your clothes too.
Sometimes household cleaning products that are toxic may end up ruining your quartz kitchen countertops or your marble bathrooms. The reason is that they are so “effective” they may eat right through the materials. This makes them unsafe and ultimately not better to clean with. The same can be said for detergents and clothes.
What are some natural laundry detergents?
We have listed a couple of the best natural laundry detergents above. But did you know that you can make your own homemade natural laundry detergent? Here is a recipe we love to use that is made from natural ingredients.
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1 cup of liquid Castile soap
- ½ cup of sea salt
- 2 ½ cups of warm water
- Jug to hold the detergent
- Mix together the baking soda, sea salt, and warm water to create your detergent. Shake it well so that everything dissolves.
- Once it dissolves, add the Castile soap into the mix. Add more water so that it fills the jug. If it is over-foaming, then you’ve added too much Castile soap.
Can You Use Soap for Laundry?
You can’t use regular soap to wash your clothes though some people may try. The problem with using regular hand soap or even bar soap is the suds. Not to mention, hand soap has dyes and fragrances in it, just like a general laundry detergent. When clothes get filled with soap suds, they actually can get stained rather than cleaned. The suds and soap absorb into the materials rather than rinsing away.
This is especially true if you are throwing your hats in the laundry with a hat frame protector. Washing your hats the right way with an organic laundry detergent is the way to go.
Finding the Right Eco-Friendly Fit
When it comes to finding a laundry detergent that works for you and your family, it can be a tricky road at first. You may find that some of the natural options just don’t compare to your old store-bought detergents. The idea is that you have to keep in mind there is a transition phase. But a lot of these options get the job done just as well as some of your old brand favorites. And more importantly, you can be assured your skin, eyes, and lungs are happier because of the switch.
To find your favorite natural laundry detergent, it is best to try one brand out at a time for several loads. Or better yet, stick with the product till you run out. If you are going to approach washing by re-wearing some of your clothes, then don’t be afraid to use a little more detergent. It’s all about balance.